Welcome to my Philadelphia Area (Motorcycle) Resources page. While working in the Revzilla Boutique, I'm often asked by customers about local resources for everything from schools to maintenance to events. So here's a little page I've put together for you if you're searching for this type of information.
Please feel free to contact me and let me know if you have any suggestions to add, or comments/changes you'd like me to know. It'll be a constant work in progress, so keep checking back for more updates.
Here's what you'll find:
- Training Courses / Schools
- Motorcycle Gear
- New and Used Motorcycle Shops, Maintenance
- Motorcycle Events, Rallies
I may add a few things that are more relevant to the East Coast, rather than Philadelphia specifically. I'm going to add those last in each category with an "*" so you'll know they're not exactly nearby. But I think they're worth mentioning!
Training Courses / Schools
- California Superbike School: Keith Code provides multiple levels of instruction including Level 1/Novice to Level 4/Advanced sessions. He's coming to NJMP in Spring 2016! You can also sign up for the 2day camp which includes riding a BMW S1000RR and more advanced riding techniques along with instruction from their Level 4 coaches.
- MSF-usa.org; If you're a brand new, novice motorcycle rider and you've NEVER ridden before, that's what the MSF class is for. It's not for experienced riders. It's the best substitute to your best friend/dad/mom/boyfriend/girlfriend trying to teach you to ride in the parking lot. To find your nearest school in PA or any state just enter your zip code and voila, you'll find the one closest to you. They're free if you're a PA resident :D
- Pine Barrens Adventure Camp Riding School / Hammond, NJ: I found this thru a friend on Facebook, it's a cool riding school in NJ that offers beginner to intermediate to advanced dual sport / adventure rider training. So if you're wondering what you're supposed to be doing with that big "Adventure" bike you just bought, here's the spot! It looks like you need to supply your own bike.
- Team Pro Motion / Milville, NJ: My husband and I did our first track day with TPM in September ('15) and we had a blast. They offer a novice school that's fantastic. I highly recommend doing at least one track day with your bike.
- Yamaha Champions Riding School / Milville, NJ: This is THE training school if you want to improve your on-road, street skills. Lots of instruction from professional motorcyclists to help you gain confidence, learn what lines you should be taking and more. And the best part is you get to ride a Yamaha! It's not cheap, but worth every penny. This is something I definitely want us to save up for.
These are not close to Philly but I thought they're worth mentioning, given what great classes they are.
- * Class Motorcycle School: Although this company is based in CA, once a year they do classes at VIR, Virginia International Raceway in Alton, VA. Their classes do not sound like traditional track day classes: "CLASS is about being a better rider. So if you’re a street rider, a sport rider or even an aspiring racer looking to get better, you’ve come to the right place."
- Revzilla.com: Ok, I'm a little biased since I work here. But yes, we have the BEST selection of motorcycle gear in the Philadelphia area. Hell, the best selection on the East Coast. And especially for women riders. We're lucky to have a huge wall of options for women in the store. This is only half the wall, there's even more to the right!
- There's also a full boot wall and glove wall for both genders. But BEFORE YOU VISIT, please check the website for store hours, directions and product availability. The store does not carry Everything from the website! We're located right by the Philadelphia Int'l Airport. You can find me working there every day during store hours. See you soon! And of course, more than 75% of the store is stocked well for male riders.
- Quaker City Motor Works: "QCMW is the Philadelphia area's premier full service shop and source for vintage parts focusing on vintage British bikes. Give the shop a buzz and we can chat about what you need." As far as gear, they are a Vanson dealer and UglyBros Riding Jean dealer.
New and Used Motorcycle Shops, Maintenance
These are the closest shops to Philly for new and used motorcycles including OEM dealers.
- Moto Guild. This is the brainchild of my friends Aleks and Wilder Grippo, founder of Moto Guild San Francisco which was formerly known as Moto Shop (founded in 2010). With 3 other locations (San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Chicago), Philadelphia is the 4th. If you're looking for a place to rent a bike lift (complete with all the tools you need) and work on your bike, or learn how to work on your bike then you need to check out the Moto Guild. Here I am back in 2010 working on my bike back in San Francisco!
- Keystone State Cycles; Philadelphia, PA. Motorcycle, scooter repair in South Philly. They offer service on metric and Harleys.
- Montgomeryville Cycles; Montgomeryville, PA. Brands they sell: BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Kymco, Suzuki, Yamaha
- Quaker City Motor Works: Glenside, PA. "QCMW is the Philadelphia area's premier full service shop and source for vintage parts focusing on vintage British bikes".
- Spare Parts Company: Philadelphia, PA. SPC specializes in Moto Guzzi, BMW, Laverda, MZ, Triumph, and Ducati. But they might work on other bikes too, you just have to call them and see what they can do for you.
- Triumph Philadelphia; Manayunk (Northwest), PA. Triumph Only. But they do offer used and consignment bikes. This is where I found Goldie 2.0 after my little getoff last June. We've brought both of our Triumphs into TP to have work done including maintenance and major repairs and have had nothing but great experiences.
- Working Class Cycles: Point Breeze/ Philadelphia, PA. WCC is by appointment only. I've been there several times for tire changes and mounting Goldie's exhaust. It's definitely a place you bring your parts and supplies, and then WCC does the work.
- Union Cycle Supply Co: Fishtown/ Philadelphia, PA. I haven't used their services before but they're mainly maintenance and service. I've heard good things! As of January 2016, they are called Yorick and Sons.
- Women's Sportbike Rally; Deals Gap NC. I know this isn't exactly in Philly but if you like riding incredible twisty roads with fantastic scenery, you should join me for this annual event the weekend after Labor Day. My first time was 2015 and it was fantastic. I look forward to going next year! Check out my ride report here.